Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Dusting down the decorations.

It is that time of year again where I find myself crawling into the cupboard under the stairs, groping about in darkness to find the Christmas decorations, tree, slightly damp wrapping paper and a box of crackers which I hope still have some bang in them.
I have to say I'm not one to go over the top with the decorations. We tend to have a nice classy tree and a few choice ornaments and candles. I have a feeling that once my children start school and bring home the cotton ball snowman, doily snowflakes and carrier bag wreaths, my classy will turn tacky and I will turn into my mum. My mum would let me and my sisters decorate the tree (when I say decorate, I mean throw as much stuff at the tree before my two sisters got a chance and arguing) then whilst we were in bed redecorate the whole thing herself.
I have started a tradition in our house. Ever year my children get to choose a new decoration for the tree. The idea is that when they grow up and have a home of their own, they can take their decoration with them. Last year James chose a huge wood star, which our tree struggled to hold, but he was only 1 and at tbe time he was obsessed with cats and stars

No comments: